This year my girls and I started a new Thanksgiving tradition. Each day we take the date, and we say that many things that we are thankful for. So today, November 21, we will each say twenty-one things that we are thankful for.
Now let me be honest…I had great intentions of doing this everyday. We were doing really well for a week. And then we kind of fell off the wagon. You know how that goes. One kiddo misses school one week, then the other the next. Before you know it, it has been a week without sleep! But I digress…
So as we celebrate Thanksgiving this year, and in the years to come, I will continue this tradition for a couple of reasons.
- It gives me a sneak peek into my girls' hearts.
- It reminds all three of us that we have so much to be thankful for.
- It gives me the opportunity to demonstrate gratitude to them.
So with that, I would like to share my list with you today…the twenty-one things I am thankful today.
- Jesus – as I read this morning in John 15:16 I was reminded that I did not choose Him, but He chose me. This is a truth that He is showing me over and over in this season of life.
- Grandpa Klein – my grandpa is my hero. He has always been a rock, but I'll never forget him bringing His Bible to the table and reading to us the morning of my grandma's funeral. He knows that hope is found in Jesus alone, and he trusts God for all things. He truly lives out the gospel daily.
- My Parents – I am thankful that my parents raised me in a home where I was taught what it looks like to love the least of these. As a child I didn't realize that not everyone had “strangers” living in their houses. OK…they weren't really strangers, but as a child I always remember having people staying with us that were in transition and needing help getting back on their feet. Through that, my parents lived out the truth that everything we have belongs to God. They were always generous with what God had given them.
- Super Soft Blankets – I seriously love them! I love wrapping my girls up in hem at night, and snuggling under one each morning as I settle in w my Bible and journal.
- My Bible – God's Word brings a peace to my heart and guides my steps. As I read more I am constantly reminded of how the Truth sets us free!
- Keystone Baptist Church – This was my home church growing up. It was a church that truly lived out the love of Jesus. Everyone was welcome there. And everyone took care of each other. It was the my church family that God used to grow me in my faith. My Sunday school teachers challenged me to grow in the Word, and my church family challenged me to love others the way Jesus loved me.
- Mountain Ridge Church – Finding a good church home in Arizona was not easy. And thankfully after months of searching, a Google search led our family to Mountain Ridge. This amazing church loves God and loves people. They are committed to loving people in such a way that it draws people to the feet of Jesus.
- Flip Flops– I love my flip flops! Living in Arizona I wear them year round!
- My health – I am so thankful for my health and for the ability to run, hike, bike and play with my kiddos.
- Christine – Christine is my counselor. She shows me empathy and grace, but also challenges me with the truth. She is an instrument God has used in my journey towards healing.
- The Mountains – After living in Phoenix for 4 years, I finally started hiking last year. It has been an amazing way to experience the beauty of God's creation, and a fun way to workout.
- My Time at Ace Hardware – Earlier this year we sold our family business. It was a trying 4 1/2 years, but it was also a time of growth. It provided real life education. I am thankful for the friendships I made there and the lessons I learned.
- My Rocking Chair – My favorite way to spend the first moments of my day are snuggled up with my Bible, my journal and a cozy blanket in the rocking chair I bought before the girls were born. This chair is my happy place 🙂
- New Paint – It is true…I love to paint. I do not paint pictures. I paint walls. I love to change the colors of the walls in my house. It brings a warmth to my heart!
- Aprille, Ashley & Carolyn – These are my three best friends. God brought each of them into my life at different times, and over the years and the miles He has continued to tie our hearts together. I am grateful for the love these ladies extend to me on a regular basis.
- Hastings, NE – My hometown. This was a town where money didn't matter. Everyone worked hard and played hard. This town taught me the value of hard work. And it also provided me with a top-notch education. I am thankful to all my teachers who devoted their lives to the kiddos of this amazing little town.
- My Story – My story has shaped me into the woman I am today. Without each chapter, I wouldn't be where I am today.
- YOU – I am thankful for you. Each week I ask myself, “How can I add value to the lives of the women in my circle of influence?” But the truth is, each week when you share your stories with me, you are adding value to my life. So thank you for being a part of what God is doing here.
- Coffee – I waited until my mid-thirties to begin drinking coffee, but I am so thankful I finally did.
- My first born – As I get to know this precious girl more and more, my love for her grows deeper than I ever thought possible. Her sensitive spirit and her loves her little sister amaze me and inspire me daily.
- My baby – This precious girl always has a bounce in her step. She brings me joy daily as I watch her love on her stuffed animals and her friends at school. She is caring and adventurous.
That is today's list! I would love to hear in the comments what you are thankful for this Thanksgiving week!
Happy Thanksgiving, Friend!